“U.S. Department of Commerce Produces Comprehensive Analysis Addressing Copyright Policy, Creativity, and Innovation in the Digital Economy. Department Publishes Green Paper on Updating Copyright Policies for the
It has been 18 years since an administration has issued an analysis this thorough. The Green Paper, Copyright Policy, Creativity, and Innovation in the Digital Economy, is the product of the Department of Commerce’s Internet Policy Task Force with contributions from other agencies.
In the Green Paper, the IPTF proposes the following actions:
- Establishing a multistakeholder dialogue on improving the operation of the notice and takedown system under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).
- Soliciting public comment and convening roundtables on:
- The legal framework for the creation of remixes;
- The relevance and scope of the first sale doctrine in the digital environment;
- The application of statutory damages in the context of individual file-sharers and secondary liability for large-scale online infringement;
- The appropriate role for the government, if any, to help improve the online licensing environment, including access to comprehensive public and private databases of rights information.
Click here to view the Press Release
Click here to view the 122 page Green Paper